Kale Pesto (adapted from The Splendid Table)
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed (about 4 cups roughly chopped leaves)
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup sunflower microgreens
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup olive oil, plus more for the container
- Juice from 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor & process until mixture is smooth.
- You may need to add water to get desired consistency.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
The pesto will stay fresh (in a sealed container) in the fridge for about 5 days. You can also freeze it in an airtight container for about a month.
Butternut Squash Salad
- 1 butternut squash (peeled, cut into 1 inch pieces, roast at 375 degrees for 40 minutes and cool in fridge)
- 1 cup Pepita Seeds
- Mixed Greens
- ½ thinly sliced red onion
- 4 ounces Maytag Blue Cheese
- 2 Avocados
- Microgreens (sunflower or pea is recommended)
- Gino’s Italian Dressing
- Mix all ingredients in large bowl, toss, and serve. Microgreens can be mixed into the salad or served on top of the plated salad.
Sweet Potato Crusted Spinach Frittata (submitted by Ashley Q)
- Cook frittata according to instructions on http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2013/04/sweet-potato-crusted-spinach-frittata.html
- Serve topped with Microgreens (radish, red cabbage, or pea is recommended)
Nachos (submitted by Kelli S)
- Taco Meat (ground beef or Turkey with taco seasoning)
- Tortilla Chips
- Shredded Cheese (can use Mexican or which ever variety you prefer)
- Black olives
- Microgreens (kale or arugula is recommended)
- Toppings = salsa, jalapeños, Greek yogurt, avocado, etc.
- Lay out tortilla chips on oven safe plate
- Layer chips with taco meat, cheese, and black olives and place in oven to broil.
- After broiling, top the chips with microgreens, salsa, jalapeños, and Greek yogurt
Kefir Smoothie (Adapted from Karen Q)
- 1 banana (frozen or fresh)
- 1 tsp chia seed
- 1 Cup Kefir milk
- 10 sprigs of sunflower shoot microgreens
- 2 tbs peanut butter
- Vanilla Greek yogurt (optional)
- Place in blender and blend until desired consistency is reached.
Pear & Goat Cheese Pizza
- Pizza Crust
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Pear
- ¼ Cup Walnuts
- 1 package Goat Cheese
- ½ cup Microgreens - arugula
- Evenly coat a thin layer of olive oil over the pizza crust.
- Thinly slice the pear and distribute on the pizza crust.
- Sprinkle with goat cheese, walnuts, red onion.
- Bake pizza according to directions on pizza crust.
- When finished baking top with arugula microgreens.
Fruit and Cheese Plate
- There are so many options with how you can put this type of thing together. This is a great idea for an afternoon snack or as an appetizer for a dinner party. The options of which fruits and cheeses you choose are endless, but you can definitely spice up the decor by adding some microgreens.
- Pictured is a tray with a thinly sliced Pink Lady apple, grapes, Vermont cheddar cheese, and red cabbage & pea microgreens.
- Rotisserie Chicken
- 2 slices of your Favorite hearty bread
- 4 thin slices of a Granny Smith Apple
- Apple butter
- 2 slices swiss cheese
- Microgreens - Pea
- Butter or olive oil
- Spread butter/olive oil on the outside of the bread (spread apple butter on the inside).
- Layer the chicken, apple slices, pea microgreens, swiss cheese, and grill or place in a panini maker.
Classic Grilled Hamburger
- 1 pound ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 2 tablespoons Herky Perky seasoning from Saltlickers (www.saltlickers.com)
- 1/2 white onion finely chopped
- 1 onion bun
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Stone ground mustard
- Microgreens - Pea
- Mix meat, Herky Perky seasoning, and white onion.
- Shape burgers to desired size and grill to your preferred burger "doneness."
- Before removing from grill be sure to top your burger with cheese to allow it to melt, and don't forget to toast your bun to add more flavor.
- Top with your favorite fixings and enjoy!
Homemade Chicken Stock
- Bones/skin from chicken
- 3 carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 onion (with the skin)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tablespoon parsley
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Place all ingredients in the crock pot, and fill with water up to the level of the chicken carcass.
- Cook in crock pot on low for 12 hours (the longer you can cook the better)!
- Remove bones and vegetables, and pour stock through a strainer to remove any chunks.
- Stock can be refrigerated for use within a few days, or frozen for later use.